Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Senior Design Engineer is responsible for the conception, recommendation, design, plan and implementation of value-added, customer-satisfying innovations to our line of mobile pressure vessels (i.e. trucks, trailers, transports, etc.).
This position will be based out of our Owatonna MN facility. Training will take place at our New Prague, MN facility.
- Work closely with the product management, the sales/marketing organization, operations and the customer base to conceive, design and implement creative solutions to consumer and technical problems.
- Recommend and design innovations and modifications in a cost-effective and profitable manner, while driving lean manufacturing principles.
- Lead the New Product Development process for the product line.
- Use Voice of Customer research to identify user needs, determine customer requirements, and translate into technical requirements and design concepts.
- Utilize modeling tools to drive upfront analysis in the design cycle, incorporating all required industry standards and tests.
- Understand and navigate the intellectual process landscape.
- Work within a cross-functional group of sales/marketing, engineering, quality, manufacturing and sourcing to develop new/modified products and guide strategic technical direction.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree, or a related field, with a Professional Engineer (PE) certification preferred.
- Experience in the design or manufacture of pressure vessels is highly desirable.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience as a Mechanical or Design Engineer within the metal fabrication industry.
- Broad-based knowledge of materials, manufacturing techniques, and computer-aided mechanical design software.
- Outstanding interpersonal, written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task, self-manage, prioritize and work independently without additional engineering support.
- Highly developed analytical problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Experience working in a Lean /Continuous Improvement environment desirable.
- PC proficient with software such as Microsoft Office, MathCAD, etc.
The ideal candidate will have had previous experience engineering pressure retaining equipment for the transportation industry (applications such as semi-trailers, truck-mounted equipment, ISO containers, etc.). This will include a working knowledge of various US and Canada road regulations and codes, design standards, etc. A highly motivated self directed individual with a history of driving projects to success is required.